Slide Rule Online Links
This page is organized into several sections, beginning with the most important slide rule websites, followed by other slide rule resources, personal collections of slide rules, and places to buy or trade rules. This list is far from complete, however, and I encourage you to explore the further links provided on many of the sites listed below. If you are interested in slide information available in print, including modern publishers, please check out my Slide Rule Books page
For those of you who have just arrived, please click here to go to my main Slide Rule Site page.
UPDATE - June 15,2008: I no longer actively maintain this site, but keep it up as a resource for others. Although I just revamped the list and removed some out of date links, online links may change frequently. I recommend you use an online search engine to help you stay up to date.
Main Slide Rule Sites
- Slide Rule Universe at Sphere Research Corp. Aptly named, this is one of the best slide rule resources out there. Extensive background information on a huge number of makers and models, as well as tons of general background info and high resolution pictures. They also offer a wide array slide rules for sale. A definite must see!
- Slide Rules by Ron Manley is a great introduction to the world (and world wide web) of slide rules. Very approachable, and full of useful information. Features a detailed analysis of eBay auction prices for the more popular and common rules, which is a great resource if you are just starting out.
- The Oughtred Society finally has a website. This is sort of a slide rule historical society, devoted to the exchange of information between slide rule collectors and enthusiasts. Publishes a biannual print journal that an excellent slide rule resource. Most serious slide rule collectors are members.
- The International Slide Rule Group at Yahoo is the largest message group I've seen dedicated to slide rules. It's an excellent resource, both for the ongoing discussions and the downloadable files not available elsewhere. If you have a question about slide rules, someone there should be able to answer it.
- Slide Rule Documentation Online is unfortunately no longer available, but Greg Scott has resurrected the majority of its content, plus a few new items, at his Ozmanor website. Check it out for a good list of manuals.
- eBay Slide Rule Price Search is maintained by Rod Lovett, and is a great tool that allows you search the eBay database of auctions. This will allow you to accurately estimate the current value of your rules!
- K&E Catalog Collection, maintained by Clark McCoy, is an extremely comprehensive set of Keuffel and Esser slide rule catalogs. Very useful for detailing changes in the various model over time, and a virtually mandatory resource for K&E fans.
Other Slide Rule Resources
- Dutch Circle of Slide Rule Collectors has a multi-lingual site offering information about slide rules and their annual collector meetings. At present, the site is available in Dutch, English, German, and French.
- HP Museum has a good introductory primer on the history and uses of slide rules, as well as some miscellaneous photos of different rules.
- Kung's Slide Rule Links is probably the most extensive listing of web slide rule links I've seen yet. An excellent resource, updated frequently.
- Otis King's Patent Calculator site, run by Dick Lyon, has extensive background information on this rather unique slide rule. Contact Dick if you have a Otis King not listed in his database.
- Slide Rule Forum at Yahoo is a small discussion group dedicated to slide rules. For some reason, it has a much smaller following than the International Slide Rule Group.
- The Mad Slide Ruler is a fun site dedicated to using and enjoying slide rules.
- Virtual Slide Rule is what the title suggests, created by Ryan Chadwick.
- Online E-6B Flight Computer and Circular Slide Rule Applets allows you to learn more about these still relevant forms of manual calculation.
Slide Rule Collections
- Chris Gillings has an interesting collection of slide rules, focusing mainly on unusual and special purpose models.
- Dave's House of Slide Rules has a beautiful collection of slide rules, neatly organized with plenty of personal collecting tidbits that will entertain any slide rule enthusiast.
- Dick Rose has created a website detailing (among other things) his massive collection of slide rules for sale. Although images are still in the works, it's a great general resource thanks to Dick's detailed descriptions of each rule.
- Greg Scott has a well organized and clearly presented website showcasing his personal collection. Plenty of rules to explore, with an elegant interface that makes it very easy to navigate.
- Kent Walker has a small site dedicated to his personal collection of slide rules. Some interesting rules, well presented.
- Rod Lovett has a very extensive and diverse collection of slide rules, from a wide range of manufacturers. A definite must for any Aristo fan!
- Todd Tolhurst has a small but well organized site detailing the slide rules in his collection.
- Walter Shawlee runs the massive Slide Rule Universe at Sphere Research Corp. In addition to his own collection, it also showcases the collections of a large number of contributors, and has more slide rule information than anywhere else online.
- Ron Manley slide rule site is much more than just a personal collection, although it does also include high resolution scans and detailed background info on each rule. Has more useful information than just about any site, except for Sphere Research's Slide Rule Universe.
- Nathan's Possibly Interesting Website has a lot info on the history of computing, among other things.
Slide Rules for Sale
- David Crate's Quality Slide Rules
. As David describes it, he offers a slide rule for every taste and budget with everything from complete mint sets to "gently-used slide rule classics"!
- Dick Rose has one of the larger personal collections of slide rules for sale, now documented at his own site. Contact Dick for updated prices.
- eBay's current listing of slide rule auctions ending over the next 10 days or so.
- Mike's Slide Rule Shop has an extensive array of new-in-the-box Pickett rules. I've never seen many NIB models available in one place before.
- Slide Rule Shop by Ted Hume. Ted has a number of different brands, types and sizes of rules for sale. Detailed descriptions are given for each rule, including condition.
- Slide Rule Trading Co. run by Paul Ross, this site features all sorts of hard to find replacement parts for various slide rules (especially cursors). Check it out if you are looking to bring an old slide rule back to a useful life.
- Slide Rule Trading Group at Yahoo is the online trading site affiliated with the International Slide Rule Group. You need to be enrolled as a member of the discussion group first before you can post messages to the trading group.
- Slide Rule Universe at Sphere Research Corp. This site offers an extensive range of slide rules, including many new-in-the-box models and near-mint sets. It's also the major online repository for all things slide rule!
- House of Slide Rulers sells a number of items, and specializes in Pickett rules.
You've Come a Long Way, Baby ...
The above examples are from the copyright 1938 Slide Rule Practice booklet by W. Stanley & Co. listed on my Slide Rule Books page. It addition to the sexist examples shown above, the book includes problems pertaining to such hefty matters as air conditioning maintenance, Boy Scout tricks, stenographers' needs, and timekeepers and rate-setters applications, among others. Moreover, the book is liberally peppered with such inspirational comments as:
- "The present-day wonders of the 20th Century prove that there is no end to what the individual can accomplish. The same is true of the the Slide Rule."
- "The person who qualifies to handle figures swiftly, accurately and easily is best equipped to advance more rapidly."
- "Be modern. Do your calculations instantly without paper and pencil."
- "Individuals mastering figures swiftly are priceless assets."
Return to Eric's Slide Rule Page
Page last updated on July 10, 2015 -
All material © 1999, 2008 by Eric Marcotte.